The Balancing Act®
, the award-winning morning show on the Lifetime®
Channel, is excited to announce that it has begun shooting the fifth season of its five-part series, Broadway Balances America
, sponsored by Broadway Across America.
A Telly Award-winning series, Broadway Balances America
provides behind-the-scenes access and interviews highlighting shows featured on Broadway Across America’s 2018-2019 Broadway series nationwide – from Boston to Costa Mesa, from Houston to Omaha, and everywhere in between. The Balancing Act’s
host, Amber Milt, will have the opportunity to meet with the casts, crews, and creative teams for an in-depth look at what it’s like to bring these shows to life on the road.
Season 5 Segments:
- On the first segment, Broadway Balances America goes on an epic adventure as host Amber Milt takes us inside the romantic new musical ANASTASIA. Hear from Lila Coogan, who makes her national tour debut as Anya, and costume designer Linda Cho as we learn how the exquisitely designed costumes and sweeping score transport audiences from the twilight of the Russian Empire to the euphoria of Paris in the 1920s. Meet Zach Adkins, who plays Dmitry on Broadway, as he discusses the passion of the fans and passes the torch to Coogan as she sets out to tell this story across the country. Follow along with this empowered princess tale as Anya goes on a journey to the past to discover her identity, conquer her fears, and find home, love, and family.
- Next, Broadway Balances America gets an all-access look at life as a pint-sized musical prodigy in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s SCHOOL OF ROCK. Meet talented rockers Ava Briglia, Layla Capers, and Montgomery Lamb as they welcome Milt into the band and share what it’s like to balance being in a Broadway show with being a kid. Learn about the journey these young actors experience from their first audition with Casting Associate Claire Burke to first performance (and beyond) with Head Guardian Jill Valentine, who oversees the children backstage. Watch this behind-the-scenes exclusive of the energetic young actors who act, sing, dance, and play their own instruments 8 times a week in this high-octane hit that’s coming to ROCK across the country!
- The series continues as Broadway Balances America explores the remarkable true story of 7,000 stranded airline passengers and the small town in Newfoundland that welcomed them in the days following September 11, 2011 through the lens of award-winning musical COME FROM AWAY. Learn how creators Irene Sankoff and David Hein and producer Sue Frost compiled 16,000 stories from this 5 day period and ended up with an uplifting 100 minute musical featuring an ensemble of 12 actors. Meet American Airlines Captain Beverley Bass, whose flight was grounded in Gander, and Becky Gulsvig, who portrays Bass’ character on tour. Experience an up-close look at the people who continue to share the story of a tragedy that changed the world and how one small town came together and created community – instilling hope in all who bear witness to it.
- During the fourth episode, viewers will meet the women bringing MISS SAIGON to life. Get to know leading lady Emily Bautista, who plays the iconic role of Kim, and actresses Stacie Bono and Jackie Nguyen as they prepare to tour the country and show incredible strength on stage and off. Hear from director Laurence Connor as he discusses the grand scale and dose of reality that brings this acclaimed new production to life. Broadway Balances America gets a glimpse inside the rehearsal process of this legendary musical that changed Broadway forever and continues to resonate with audiences today.
- In the final episode, Broadway Balances America will celebrate one of Broadway’s longest-running shows as it tours across the country – Andrew Lloyd Webber’s 2016 revival of CATS. Host Amber Milt revisits the record-breaking musical spectacular and transforms into a Jellicle cat with the help of the production team. In addition, Tony Award-winning choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler will discuss his new choreography for the production and how it feels to be a part of this iconic piece.